Standard charterparties are pre-drafted contract forms used in the shipping industry. These standardised forms have been developed and published by various organisations to provide a consistent and widely accepted framework for chartering vessels. They are commonly used as a basis for negotiation between shipowners and charterers, allowing them to tailor the terms and conditions to their specific needs while relying on a well-established and recognised foundation. Some of the most well-known standard charterparty forms include:
- BIMCO (The Baltic and International Maritime Council) Charterparties: BIMCO is a prominent organisation that develops a wide range of standard forms, including the "BIMCO Standard Charterparty Forms." These include the "BIMCO Voyage Charters," "BIMCO Time Charter Parties," and "BIMCO Bareboat Charter Parties," among others.
- Gencon Charterparty: The Gencon Charterparty is a widely used voyage charterparty standard form published by BIMCO. It's often used for the shipment of dry bulk cargoes.
- NYPE (New York Produce Exchange) Charterparty: The NYPE form is a widely recognized and used standard time charterparty form, especially in the dry cargo sector. While it originated in New York, it is used globally.
- ASBATANKVOY Charterparty: This is a standard voyage charterparty form for tankers, published by the Association of Ship Brokers and Agents (ASBA). It is commonly used for the transportation of liquid bulk cargoes.
- COAL-OREVOY Charterparty: This is a standard voyage charterparty form used for the carriage of coal and ore cargoes.
- Synacomex Charterparty: The Synacomex form is used for the shipment of grains and similar cargoes. It is a widely recognized standard form for these types of shipments.
- Shelltime Charterparty: This is a standard time charterparty form, often used for the hire of small tankers in the petroleum trade.
These standard charterparty forms are well-established in the industry and provide a starting point for negotiations. Parties can modify the terms to meet their specific requirements, but having a recognised and widely accepted base form can save time and effort in the negotiation process.
It's important for both shipowners, brokers, and charterers to be familiar with these standard charterparty forms and understand the specific terms and conditions they entail. However, it can also be advisable to seek legal and professional advice when negotiating and finalising charterparty agreements to ensure that they align with the parties' interests and comply with relevant laws and regulations.